Twist and Shout


As much as I love food, I hardly take the time to make anything from scratch.  I normally rely on sandwiches, oatmeal, and other simple creations for my sustenance.  I'm not embarrassed to admit I hardly cook anything complicated.  I live alone and I'm on a budget, so it makes sense ;)

Recently, I decided to make a soft-pretzel from scratch. This was a big moment in my life, for it required me to buy ingredients and then measure them.  The horror!  
A few weeks ago I made a batch, but it didn't meet my expectations. Apparently, I am a pretzel connoisseur and have an opinion on the matter.  Who knew. Haha.  After receiving a recommendation from a trusted source(ie. Greg), I tried a new recipe.  Yesterday, I followed the recipe carefully and about a million hours later(or two), my pretzels were ready to eat! :D  Good god, they were amazing.  It's like eating freshly baked bread, but twisted.  A revelation, I know.  Haha.  I dipped them in mustard and it got even better. Apparently the notion of eating mustard with pretzels was weird to Greg. He understood the combo very soon though, when he sang its praises.  Hah!

I love fresh and simple food. If this sounds interesting to you, try it!  Even an amateur like myself could do it :)

Here's the recipe (makes 8 pretzels):

Dough

1. Combine 1 1/2 cups of warm water, 1 tbsp sugar and 2 tsp coarse salt in a bowl and sprinkle a packet
of active dry yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam or separate from
the water.
2. Add 4 1/2 cups of flour and 2 oz melted butter(unsalted) to the bowl. Mix the dough well for about 5 minutes. It will be dry.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and clean the bowl. Oil the sides of the bowl and then return dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Sit the dough in a warm place for 50-55 minutes.

40 minutes after dough was left to sit 


1. Preheat oven to 450 F degrees and lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
2. Pour 2 inches of water into a wide frying pan. Add 1/3 cup of baking soda. Boil the water.
3. While the water is heating, form your pretzels. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll out into a 24 inch rope. I suggest looking at Youtube for how to shape them (Basically you form dough into a U shape, twist the ends over each other twice, and then bring the ends to the center of the "U" shape).
4. When the water is boiling, slowly submerge pretzels in water using a flat spatula. Let sit for 30 seconds. Remove and place on your oiled baking sheet.
5. Optional: Brush the pretzels with butter or an egg wash. I used olive oil since its good for you.
6. Season your pretzels with coarse salt. I didn't have any, so I used fine salt. No biggie.
7. Bake until dark golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
8. Cool them if you like, but personally I couldn't wait. Haha. Dip them in mustard.

For variation you can add cinnamon and sugar to them or fold in raisins into the dough.  I might try the latter :)

Nom!

4 comments:

  1. Man that looks good! I hope you make me a batch one day! It looks tough but I guess baking bread is always kinda tough, but if you have patience, you can make just about anything- even that buche de noel ;) Hope you make more food related posts! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely make you a batch :) It's pretty fun! For some reason it looked hard to me when I first looked at the recipe, but it was pretty darn easy. It's even easier if you are a lucky bastard and have a stand mixer(or bread maker in Greg's case!). Haha. Thanks for the feedback! Will try to post recipes in the future :) x

      Delete
  2. that looks absolutely fab! too bad i don't have an oven in my current flat ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they were really tasty! Mmm, bread. I grew up without a functioning oven so we used to use a toaster oven to bake small things. Do you have them in Nice? They are great for small spaces. Not sure why my parents didn't just fix our oven or buy a new one. Ohh parents. Haha.

      Delete