We Like Our Teatime, Easter Edition

It's slightly embarrassing posting more cutesy tea-time photos, but I assure you it is merely a coincidence.  It is a rare occurrence 'round these parts, but here we are...

For easter my sister and her boyfriend, Donald, came over to my apartment.  We baked, colored eggs and maybe had an egg hunt(ahem). Lately I had been feeling nostalgic for easter-egg hunts, so I was really excited to celebrate this year! :)

Easter1v2

Val brought her tea-cake pan and started measuring and mixing.  The batter was lemon-y.

Easter2
Easter3

After a short time, they were perfectly baked.  So many cakes for three people to eat.  It was a hard problem to be faced with(woo!).  They cooled for a bit and were glazed with homemade lemon icing.


Easter4

In the meantime, we turned our attention to childish fun.  Val bought an egg-coloring kit.  Growing up we never experienced such luxurious items. We weren't poor, but our Mexican parents rarely considered such things a necessity.  They were old-school.  Instead, I was a resourceful little girl and "colored" my eggs with a concoction of red aspirin tablets and water.  Hah!  I was desperate.  It worked though :)

Easter5

After some trial and error(I'm new at this ok), here are my easter eggs.  Everyone's eggs were great.  Val's were glitter bombed :D  Donald added tiny stickers to his.  Haha.

Easter11

Donald.

Easter6

Then it was time for the main event.  I present you with three tiers(yes, you heard right):

On the first tier were chocolate-dipped Peeps(provided by Val).  They were as delicious as they look, filled with chocolate mousse marshmallow, and dipped in chocolate.  On the second tier, were lemon tea cakes and scattered raspberries.  On the third tier, were egg sandwiches that we made with our painted easter eggs(after shelling and rinsing of course!).

Easter8

Tea to wash everything down.  I bought this mug from Patisserie Valerie in London, one of my favorite cafes.  I bought one for Val too, considering it is her namesake!

Easter7

Valerie picks up an egg sandwich.  Inside was hard-boiled eggs(diced), vegenaise(vegan mayonnaise), mustard, paprika, dill and seasoning to taste.  As simple and delicious as it gets.

Easter13
Easter10
Easter9

I topped my tiny cake with fresh raspberries.  Val's recipe was delicious, it was hard to stop eating.

Easter12

Val snapped a pic of me.  I was on a sugar high.

Easter14

We ended the afternoon hunting for eggs that Donald hid for us!  Haha.  Val gave me hints, since I was really bad at finding them.  Some were in my kitchen, some were on window sills, it was hilarious.  Inside were jelly beans(Mike and Ike's) and Raisinets(chocolate covered raisins).  If you ate both at the same time, it was a flavor explosion.  Sure we are not kids anymore, but who said you still can't have fun :)

10 comments:

  1. Omg! I forgot about the inside of the eggs. They were so damn good! I remember eating like 4 of them haha. It was such an awesome day and thanks for opening your house to us! I had fun painting and then eating the eggs. I also liked the tunes :) Hope we do it again! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember eating more than 4, but I will not incriminate myself and offer specific numbers. Haha. I can't believe we all fit on my teeny couch. I liked the tunes too. I totally forgot about the playlist. I whipped it up minutes before you got there. I'll have to post my playlists on here next time! Anyway, the offer is still open for a monthly tea party. Lol. xx

      Delete
  2. Those tiny cakes are AMAZING! Well done! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really good. My sister received the cake pan as a Christmas gift, so it was nice she finally got to use it. And I'm glad I was on the receiving end of the baking :D

      Delete
  3. Cutest cakes ever! Recipie?

    :)
    Marie
    http://magicamsol.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! Nice to see you again :)

      Don't know where Val found the recipe, but you can also find it on her blog(HalloValerie). It's on my blogroll.

      Here's the recipe(I copy and pasted):

      2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 stick butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup lemon zest, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and 1/2 cup almond milk (or buttermilk). Mix together slowly, always mixing dry ingredients separately before slowly incorporating into liquid mixture. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit.

      It is really simple, but incredibly delicious. You can bake a bigger cake, but you would probably have to add more baking time. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! We like our tea parties! Haha. xx

      Delete
  5. oh these little cakes look adorable !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were. The best was eating about 10 of them and not feeling over indulgent! I mean, they were itty bitty ;)

      Delete